I gave Clarkson’s student and staff ID badges a bit of a facelift. I took a utilitarian approach. Making the photo larger and eliminating clutter in the design makes the piece more functional for our security staff, especially in a situation where they might have to identify people in poor conditions or bad light.
I was so excited to start my first design job in December 2012 that I went to campus two hours early. I went to the computer lab where I worked on my class projects and sat in the back where I used to sit for critique, thinking about what it would be like to do it for real. Hard work pays off.
Here’s an unused comp for Clarkson that I quite like. It was meant to be split across the inside front cover and inside back cover of a publication with that theme: “faster, better, stronger.” I don’t normally have the opportunity to do much with fonts outside the university’s brand, but here I was allowed to push the envelope and get a little weird. This was a fun exercise.